cabinet

cabinet
open up and come on in

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

The Joy of Late Tables

Good Morning.  I wanted to express my deepest thanks (again) to the table who came in last night five minutes prior to close.  I know what you are thinking...oh God.  No, this is not a spit-fueled rant about the rudeness of people, nor a "slam-fest" on those who have no restaurant etiquette.  This is a sincere and honest appreciation. 

Last night was going too smoothly, and my close was almost complete when I hear a server telling a greasy haired man with minimal English skills that we are still open, and happily serving in the bar.  Thank you, Mr. Douchebag Server, for this fantastic gift.  I have not had really great luck with late tables recently, I am curbing my extreme enthusiasm about telling the story of the four stoned twenty-somethings who nearly made me lose my job last week.  But perhaps as the flames of corporate controversy die down, I will spin this yarn for you all, as it is a fascinating story of karma and law enforcement. 

I digress! This gentleman then brought in what I am assuming are his parents, and then proceeded to sit in a booth in the bar.  As soon as I approached, I expected some serious issues.  There was no English going on at the table, which isn't necessarily a bad sign, but when having to explain the complications of an intricate seafood meal, it can make things difficult.  The younger gentlemen greeted me with this: "I am so sorry.  My parents and I are very hungry.  We know exactly what we want and as soon as we get the food bring the check."  Huh?!?!? What? Then I was showered with pet names such as "angel" and "sweetheart" as I took the order, which, as the gentlemen promised, was complete in full.  They ordered lobster, I didn't mind.  Two hot sakes? I'm on it.  As long as you are kind to me, I'll stay here all night.  They left me more than adequate gratuity, but in a way I didn't even want to take their money.  They even left it in cash, while paying with a credit card, "you get taxed don't you?" the mother said in her broken English.  I almost cried.

I made sure to tell them how much their kindness meant to me.  They told me it goes both ways.  Aw, shucks.  I told them I had been less than enamored with my job lately, and this had renewed my faith in the human race.  So thank you table 311.  Thank you.  

   

2 comments: